Comet 4c - Ride Height
Fig. 1: Comet 4C with a ride height scale attached to the undercarriage object. The Comet is shown in Mexicana colours (XA-NAR) at Heathrow Airport (Aerosoft/XP10). The screenshot is in XP10.30 with global shadows on and HDR off. Click for high resolution.
Testung plug-ins raised a list of bugs, snags and wishes. One of these is that the ride height settings need to be slightly different in X-Plane 9 and X-Plane 10.
Checking ride heights is an occasion when some kind of test or checking instrument is useful. A scale, rather like the draft scale on the bows of a ship, was added to the undercarriage object to measure ride height and rake.
- The 3D object geometry is the same for XP9 and XP10.
- Leg length was adjusted in Plane Maker until the bottom of the tyres just cut the ground*.
- Deflection when empty was adjusted to achieve a ride height of 5' 6".
- Further deflection adjustment was made to level the aircraft by taking the average of the dataref sim/flightmodel/position/theta while the aircraft was rotated to different compass headings.
- Deflection when at max weight was checked against the original strut specifications, then levelled again by repeating step 4.
Fig. 2: Detail of the ride height scale.
Updating low-poly models and preparing packages for beta testers.